18 October 2005

sermon time!

I'll be preaching at the Friday Healing Eucharist in the Seminary Chapel next week. I get to choose my texts from the healing propers, choose the hymns, and choose the eucharistic prayers even. So I'm really excited and also reeeeeally overwhelmed. I have preached once before, but that was over 2 years ago, and I don't know how nervous I'll be as it approaches. I'm hoping that it goes well, and at the moment I'm urgently picking out music and hoping that will be ok.

A glutton for a busy life, am I. I probably shouldn't have offered myself up as a substitute, but here goes leaping into the whirlwind!

Readings, from the healing propers:
Isaiah 35 or Isaiah 49:14-16 (I'm debating)
Ps. 23
1 Peter 2:21-24
John 6:47-51

Hymns/etc are still completely unknown at this point, but I do know that I'm preaching on a theme of 'we are a broken people,' and the redemption and healing we are offered through the sacrifice of Christ. I'll need a song of praise, an offertory, a communion hymn, and a post-communion hymn. (I selected S169 as the fraction anthem for those of the Episcopalians out there.) Soooo many choices. Our chapel uses the 1982 Hymnal, LEVAS, WLP, Gather, and about 5 other hymnodies, so it's really hard to narrow it down.

So now I turn to my music choices....