29 June 2007

Friday Five: Gifts and Talents!

1. Personality tests; love them or hate them?
Love them -- but they're not the Gospel truth in any sense of the word. But as a tool to open up conversation and to think about things with a new paradigm... they have their uses.

2. Would you describe yourself as practical, creative, intellectual or a mixture?
I'd say a mixture of practical and intellectual. I'm a bit of a nerd, about just about everything. I'm not really at all creative, which always grieves me a bit, because it seems like it would be nice to have that gift.. But alas, no. Brains and a gift for tinkering, that should be enough for one ordinary girl.

3. It is said that everyone has their 15 minutes of fame; have you had yours yet? If so what was it, if not dream away what would you like it to be?
I haven't had it and don't particularly want to. Just let me toil and work.. that's all the satisfaction I need. (As an example, I haven't been to any of my graduations. I loved the work, I had plenty to be proud of, but I'm not interested in the spotlight. Just give me something to research and learn about, or a mechanical problem to solve.)

4. If you were given a 2 year sabbatical (oh the dream of it) to create something would it be music, literature, art.....something completely different...share your dream with us...
I'd probably work out a plan for reading, research and writing. I can imagine trying to write a book someday.

5. Describe a talent you would like to develop, but that seems completely beyond you.
Art. I can't draw or paint. Knitting, needlepoint, cross-stitch, and crochet, I can do, because there are rules and patterns to follow. But I can't come up with a vision of something and create it. My friend Miranda can do this, and I admire it tremendously.

Bonus question: Back to the church- what does every member ministry mean to you? Is it truly possible to encourage/ implement?
This isn't a term I hear bandied about -- but I think it's the same thing we Episco's call baptismal vocation? Hrm. Anyways, to me, baptismal vocation is the idea that every person is a minister of the Church by virtue of their baptism. I believe it to be true, and that this understanding needs to be encouraged more. Implement? I think God is implementing it in ways that we as people of an institution can never grasp. It may not be that every person participates in the institutional life of the church in the way we think they ought, but that doesn't mean that they aren't ministers of the Gospel in ways we can't grasp. I don't think baptismal vocation is something to be implement, but something to be claimed as an affirmation of what God is up to in the world through each and every one of us.